Notifications
Clear all

Brag Thread!  

P.B. Equestrian
(@p-b-equestrian)
Estimable Member

Here is a place where you can toot your horn, put out there how proud you are about something, it can be anything! I don't know anyone who likes talking about themselves, but here is a place where hopefully you feel some empowerment about your accomplishments. It can be anything from catching your horse in less than an hour to winning gold at GP! What are you proud of?

Topic starter Posted : 15/01/2020 8:23 pm
SassyMare, JoMac, dressagejoker and 1 people liked
Topic Tags
Phantom Glasses
(@phantom-glasses)
Trusted Member

This is the most brilliant idea I've seen in a while!

I could brag about when I did some natural horsemanship with a horse who is well-reputed to run off at the first chance he gets.

I 'told' him that his time around humans didn't have to be stressful, so he followed me around and stayed where he was when I told him to, to the surprise of every single human over there.

Now all the kids try to listen to their horses as well, so I can say Mission Accomplished.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2020 1:10 am
SoberEventer
(@sobereventer)

This is super cool! Great idea! I'm Super proud of my whole career with horses. I started riding 29 years ago. I have ridden nearly every discipline available. I started Saddleseat which was amazing. I now compete in Eventing and dressage and jumpers. I'm most proud of each horse that has crossed my path, especially Miss George, who was my first horse. I bought her when I was 20. She was a wild, angry, 4 year old former western pleasure horse. We started from the ground up and eventually went to Meredith Manor and further developed her jumping. We have one world and 4 national Appaloosa titles including our National Champion in 2011 when I had broken my knee 6 days before. 

Now I have my 9 year old paint mare who is making her mark in the Eventing world. I'm super excited for the continuation of her career, as she's my completely self trained horse. 

Pictured is Miss George at the age of 17, jumping Prelim with me in the irons. 

Miranda
Sober Eventer
FRS Just Like Heaven

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2020 2:53 pm
dressagejoker
(@dressagejoker)
Trusted Member

I love love love this idea ❤️

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2020 10:22 pm
Phantom Glasses
(@phantom-glasses)
Trusted Member

@sobereventer

Nice picture, is that a creamello?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2020 12:48 am
JoMac
(@jomac)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @p-b-equestrian

Here is a place where you can toot your horn, put out there how proud you are about something, it can be anything! I don't know anyone who likes talking about themselves, but here is a place where hopefully you feel some empowerment about your accomplishments. It can be anything from catching your horse in less than an hour to winning gold at GP! What are you proud of?

Catching your horse in less than an hour - this was the first thing that sprung to mind that I'm proud of! When I first took him on last spring it sometimes took me hours to catch him. With a LOT of work and patience he's got gradually better and better and just in the past few weeks I've been able to walk right up to him and catch him first time! Fingers crossed it continues when the spring grass gets here ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2020 2:18 pm
SoberEventer
(@sobereventer)
Posted by: @phantom-glasses

@sobereventer

Nice picture, is that a creamello?

No, she's Appaloosa, as stated in the post. I can break it down further for you; she's a few spot Appaloosa, and as her skin is over 80% pink she's considered white. 

Miranda
Sober Eventer
FRS Just Like Heaven

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2020 3:14 pm
P.B. Equestrian
(@p-b-equestrian)
Estimable Member

@sobereventer

I have an appy boy too, but he's a bay snowflake blanket spotted. Yours must be a nightmare in summer to protect from the sun! ? 

Here's my chap when he was 19 (now 22 but hasn't changed a bit!) winning paces or best trot (can't remember which, he won both) at HOYS in showing against all other show horses too! Managed to get 2nd in the best presented amongst a field of bays, blacks and chestnuts as well, don't know how that happened ?  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/01/2020 4:42 am
SoberEventer
(@sobereventer)
Posted by: @p-b-equestrian

@sobereventer

I have an appy boy too, but he's a bay snowflake blanket spotted. Yours must be a nightmare in summer to protect from the sun! ? 

Here's my chap when he was 19 (now 22 but hasn't changed a bit!) winning paces or best trot (can't remember which, he won both) at HOYS in showing against all other show horses too! Managed to get 2nd in the best presented amongst a field of bays, blacks and chestnuts as well, don't know how that happened ?  

He's lovely! My girl actually stayed clean and didn't sunburn. She wore a flysheet and mask. Plus if she started getting hot she'd go in her stall!

Miranda
Sober Eventer
FRS Just Like Heaven

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2020 2:46 pm
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

Love this thread!! Great idea!! We should definitely all celebrate a bit more. 

My equestrian brag is seeing the transformation of one of my past horses. I was given him for free and he was just a scrawny thing - big head on a skinny neck etc. He wasn't thin or malnutritioned, just no muscle or condition. With some work and good quality forage he turned into the most handsome horse. 

I'm just here for the free book! (...and I won one!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2020 8:40 pm
P.B. Equestrian
(@p-b-equestrian)
Estimable Member

It's all gone rather quiet here, what has everyone been up to?! 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/09/2020 12:08 am
mvfjps
(@mvfjps)

Great thread but my story is more of going back in time when  I was a boy just entering his teens .I look back at it now with a huge smile …

It was the early / mid seventies and I worked as a volunteer at my local yard and they would take their ponies , horses to local shows. As one of their helpers I would have the good fortune to ride for them.  We were at the St Helens show, which is in Merseyside, UK. We had a Gymkhana team entered and did quite well as I remember, great fun. I was riding a pony ‘Silver’ who could also jump.

I was  entered into the ‘Chase me Charlie’  class and through very good luck and the great ability of Silver came away with first. I was so proud. The rosette was presented by the then Mayor of St Helens and a photograph was taken of the moment with me on Silver.

You will see in the photo attached we, the riders, all looked very similar and the assumption was that I must have been a girl to have won.

The announcement was made could ‘Miss Shaw please come to the arena’. As a young  immature boy trying to find his way I was not impressed to be mistaken for a girl.   The photo was taken and reported in a number of local papers seen and read by many ‘ Miss Shaw takes first’ or something similar…   I failed to appreciate the moment but now it always makes me chuckle.   

Anyway a rosette won, and a monetary prize too, such a proud moment.  As you can see from the photo I was not a happy teddy. In those days everything was in black and white.

I hope the post raises a smile and maybe brings back fond memories for others on here at events or just riding in years gone by.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2020 2:56 pm
P.B. Equestrian
(@p-b-equestrian)
Estimable Member

@mvfjps what a brilliant story! Thank you for sharing 😀 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/10/2020 11:50 pm
Share: