Correct Length of s...

Notifications
Clear all

Correct Length of stirrup for dressage  

RSS
mvfjps
(@mvfjps)

Length of stirrup.

My daughter did her first dressage competition recently, we have the score cards and one of the judges wrote a comment.  ‘ Rider could do with shortening her stirrups’

Question .  What is the correct length for dressage.

When riding flat gp she rides at a length where when she sits in the saddle and her legs hang down, the bottom of the iron, the flat piece where she places the ball of her foot, is in line with her ankle bone.     For any jumping stirrups taken up two holes as a guide. Then any adjustments can be made to get them just right and suitable for purpose.

Her instructor for dressage has her riding, obviously, in a longer stirrup, which I thought to be correct but the judge thought not.

Any comments on this.

1. What is the ideal and correct length of stirrup for dressage ?
  2. Would the expectation of judges differ so to make it impossible to get it right for all judges ?

Or does she have to work on extending her leg so her heel and foot is closer to the ground. Should her leg be longer and straighter but still relaxed ?

I have attached a photo of her entering the area at the start of the discipline for reference. 

Thanks mvfjps.

Posted : 27/09/2020 2:21 pm
mvfjps
(@mvfjps)
Posted by: @mvfjps

Length of stirrup.

My daughter did her first dressage competition recently, we have the score cards and one of the judges wrote a comment.  ‘ Rider could do with shortening her stirrups’

Question .  What is the correct length for dressage.

When riding flat gp she rides at a length where when she sits in the saddle and her legs hang down, the bottom of the iron, the flat piece where she places the ball of her foot, is in line with her ankle bone.     For any jumping stirrups taken up two holes as a guide. Then any adjustments can be made to get them just right and suitable for purpose.

Her instructor for dressage has her riding, obviously, in a longer stirrup, which I thought to be correct but the judge thought not.

Any comments on this.

1. What is the ideal and correct length of stirrup for dressage ?
  2. Would the expectation of judges differ so to make it impossible to get it right for all judges ?

Or does she have to work on extending her leg so her heel and foot is closer to the ground. Should her leg be longer and straighter but still relaxed ?

I have attached a photo of her entering the area at the start of the discipline for reference. 

Thanks mvfjps.

Just to add i have read the article on here  'How long should your stirrups be' which offers great guidance but also wanted thoughts of those on the forum.  thanks mvfjps

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2020 2:43 pm
ClaireHoward
(@clairehoward)
Seasoned Member

Hello, 

in a nutshell, the correct length is stirrup is the length at which your daughters leg is the most effective.

You are correct that dressage riders ride with a longer stirrup (iron in line with ankle bone, as you mentioned), but this is no good if your daughter can't maintain the weight in her ankles and use her leg effectively. In these cases, it's best to shorten the stirrups so she can maintain the weight in her ankle and the stirrup iron securely on the ball of her foot (rather than her heel coming up and toe pointing down)

The judge shouldn't mark you down for having stirrups that are too short as long as the leg is still effective (which is in the collective for 'Rider's Results and Effectiveness') and that the ear-shoulder-hip-heel alignment stays in place (which is in the collective score for 'Rider Position') BUT if the stirrups are too long, then the rider can't maintain the correct position or have the desired effect - hence, will be marked down. 

I would listen to the judge and bring her stirrups up a bit, but in the meantime do lots of work without stirrups and also exercises to help her lengthen her lower leg, so that she will eventually be able to drop her stirrups again but remain with the weight in her heel. 

( https://howtodressage.com/for-the-rider/how-to-lengthen-your-lower-leg/)

I hope that helps 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2020 3:32 pm
mvfjps
(@mvfjps)

@clairehoward   

CH.  Thanks for the reply, time and advice. we will work on this.  It is good to listen to you others who have practical advice on this matter.  mvfjps

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2020 2:22 pm
Share: