Notifications
Clear all

Fave Horse Movies!  

RSS
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

Lockdown continues and I'm coming to the end of my box-set binges! 

What are you favourite horsey films? 

Black Beauty? Seabiscuit? War Horse? Spirit? 

I remember watching a movie when I was a kid, I think it was called Running Free or something like that. It was about horse's being taken to Africa to work on the railway but then being left in the dessert. It was rather weird, by hey, it had horses in it, so at that age I didn't care. 🤣 🤣 🤣 

I'm just here for the free book! (...and I won one!)

Posted : 26/05/2020 8:12 pm
JoMac
(@jomac)
Estimable Member

Love War Horse, but the book and stage production are both better than the film - if you ever get the chance to see it on stage then DO IT! It's incredible how believable the horses are, even though they are essentially just the frame of a horse and you can see the guys controlling them, the movements are so realistic that you zone the people right out!

Black Beauty was a favourite when I was young, and also The Horse Whisperer. Can't think of any others off the top of my head but will be following this thread for ideas!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2020 9:19 pm
Phantom Glasses
(@phantom-glasses)
Trusted Member

Is nobody going to mention Secretariat?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2020 3:56 am
SassyMare liked
EnteratA
(@enterata)

I have not seen most of the ones mentioned but I did see Secretariat and really enjoyed it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2020 1:20 pm
SassyMare liked
barbarajmartin
(@barbarajmartin)

I love "Champion" and have watched it many times.  Based on a true story of a British steeplechase jockey (Bob Champion) and the joint comebacks of him and his favorite steeplechaser.  More recently I have enjoyed "The Rider" based on a true story of a Native American horse trainer/rodeo rider.  Slow, thoughtful, cerebral, moving.  Really liked Seabiscuit although the book is better.

Barbara J Martin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2020 3:32 pm
SassyMare liked
Phantom Glasses
(@phantom-glasses)
Trusted Member

Update: Watched Hidalgo on Disney Hotstar yesterday and it was great.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2020 11:24 am
SassyMare liked
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

@jomac

would love to see War Horse as a stage show! 

They must have really studied the horse's movement to get it right, and that can't have been easy.

Since we watch horses all day long it would be obvious to us if the movement was a bit off, so I'm impressed that they were able to make it move like a real horse. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2020 8:02 pm
JoMac liked
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

Secretariat and Champion added to the list! 

Thanks everyone! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2020 8:04 pm
JoMac
(@jomac)
Estimable Member

@sassymare it really is impressive, they did such a great job, even down to the tiny little details like when the focus is on the actors and the horses are just standing at the side, they're never conpletely still, they're constantly flicking an ear or pawing the ground. So much time must have gone into studying horse's movements!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2020 1:04 pm
SassyMare liked
P.B. Equestrian
(@p-b-equestrian)
Estimable Member

Phar Lap and the Horse Whisperer are great too, both tear jerkers haha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2020 10:55 pm
SassyMare and Team-D liked
Share: