Jumping to improve ...

Notifications
Clear all

Jumping to improve your dressage?  

RSS
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

So we all know that improving your dressage can improve your jumping, but do you think that it also works the other way around and that jumping can improve your dressage? 

Let's hear your thoughts on this xx

Stay Sassy! - (my new catch phrase 🤣 )

I'm just here for the free book! (...and I won one!)

Posted : 02/06/2020 8:10 pm
JoMac liked
Vanessa
(@vanessa)
Trusted Member

Yes it certainly does.  I have always jumped but have had to give it a miss last year due to having both knees replaced,  6 months apart. I did a lot of dressage clinics and at one the coach stated that my horses were better schooled an d more responsive than all the expensive dressage horses on the clinics and she encouraged me to have a go at dressage, which were going to be doing if this covid crap hadn't  happened 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2020 1:08 pm
SassyMare liked
Vanessa
(@vanessa)
Trusted Member

Yes it certainly does.  I have always jumped but have had to give it a miss last year due to having both knees replaced,  6 months apart. I did a lot of dressage clinics and at one the coach stated that my horses were better schooled an d more responsive than all the expensive dressage horses on the clinics and she encouraged me to have a go at dressage, which were going to be doing if this covid crap hadn't  happened 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2020 1:09 pm
SassyMare liked
Dryan
(@dryan)

I really think jumping keeps them fresh i use alot of pole work exercises to engage my little mares hind end. It also helps with our focus and sometimes i wish i could have a sneak pop over a fence before a test 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2020 1:48 pm
SassyMare liked
P.B. Equestrian
(@p-b-equestrian)
Estimable Member

Totally! Especially cavalettis and raised poles. Helps build different muscle groups, help with rhythm, build elasticity, co-ordination skills, and gets their brain doing something else. Variety is so important 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2020 10:52 pm
SassyMare liked
Phantom Glasses
(@phantom-glasses)
Trusted Member

Polework is priceless because you can teach your horse to extend and collect easily. Cavaletti can improve impulsion because they're high. Jumping may help in engagement and responsiveness to the aids, and is overall less boring for the horse.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2020 4:16 am
SassyMare liked
JoMac
(@jomac)
Estimable Member

I definitely think jumpimg and dressage help improve each other, not least because it stops the horse from getting bored and stale, but also for working different muscle groups etc as mentioned above. I'm a bit of a wimp about jumping these days after coming back to riding from a break of a few years, but I do a fair bit of polework to mix up my flatwork sessions. My horse is an ex-showjumper so I should really put on my brave pants and pop a fence every now and then! (He gets plenty of practice without me on board though, jumping the electric fences from paddock to paddock to see his chums whenever he fancies 😣😂)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2020 6:41 pm
SassyMare liked
Share: