Rider's shoulders i...

Notifications
Clear all

Rider's shoulders in travers  

RSS
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

I'm really struggling with travers and my position in the saddle during the exercise. 

When in travers, do my shoulders and hips stay square and facing forward, or should my outside hip and shoulder come back slightly? My outside leg is behind the girth, so that brings my hip back a bit anyway... but I'm confused as to what position/direction my upper body and shoulders should be in. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thx 

I'm just here for the free book! (...and I won one!)

Posted : 10/08/2020 7:57 pm
P.B. Equestrian
(@p-b-equestrian)
Estimable Member

Doing lateral work is definitely a patting your head rubbing your tummy sort of situation. But generally speaking, no matter what exercise you're doing you want your position to mirror what you want the horse to do. 

So in travers you want the horse's shoulders to face straight down the track, and the hind end to travel on the inside track, so their hips will face out. Wish I could draw a diagram! (Hopefully you can picture it). Therefore, ideally you want your shoulder to face straight down the track and like you said when you drop that outside leg back it will help draw your outside hip back, and your hips will face the outside, like you want your horse to do.

One thing to be careful of in any lateral work is that you stay centred to the direction of movement of the horse. In travers its easy to drop your weight back onto the outside leg and what that would do is drop you behind the movement and pull your horse back, and odds are you'll get a sticky movement. So ride slightly into the weight of your inside leg to help keep you centred to follow the movement. This was something that took a while for me to click because no one told me! Even though seems simple and a bit "duh" now haha!

Hope this helps 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2020 10:14 pm
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

@p-b-equestrian 

So sorry for the late reply!!! I read this on my phone whilst multi-tasking and thought that I would get back to you later, but forgot 😱 so sorry! 

But your advice is very helpful!! Especially matching the horse's hips and shoulders with your hips and shoulders. It makes it kinda obvious now 😀 

It did make things much better and I could ride forwards more confidently and get a few good strides that we're building on. 

Thank you so much for your help! x  

I'm just here for the free book! (...and I won one!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/08/2020 8:26 pm
P.B. Equestrian
(@p-b-equestrian)
Estimable Member

@sassymare so good to hear it helped yay! Don't worry about the late reply I'm like that too haha! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2020 4:23 am
SassyMare liked
Share: