Notifications
Clear all

Box Rest Tips  

RSS
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

Hello, 

A horse on my yard is on box rest and has recently started lunging over the stable door to bite people/horses that walk past. We don't want to go aggressively telling her off or using any force as we know that she is only doing because she is frustrated from being confined all day - in her usual routine she does not exhibit this behaviour. 

She is allowed to come out for two hand walks per day and a munch of grass, but in the meantime we are looking for ways to help keep her occupied in the stable and to prevent her from getting frustrated. 

She loves her teat ball BUT she can only have it once per day otherwise she's going to pile on the pounds! 

Does anyone have any other ways of keeping horse happy whilst stabled? Ideally, we would like some inventive ways to use her forage - ways to help make it last longer, keep her busy, or make her have to think/work for it. 

Any suggestions welcome! 🙂 

I'm just here for the free book! (...and I won one!)

Posted : 07/09/2020 3:56 pm
Vanessa
(@vanessa)
Estimable Member

Get a rope and some veg like swedes, pop a hole in them and thread onto the rope hang it up so it swings,  keeps them amused trying to eat them

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2020 8:38 pm
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

@vanessa Thank you 🙂 

I'm just here for the free book! (...and I won one!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2020 6:17 pm
Share: