Clip in the summer?

Notifications
Clear all

Clip in the summer?  

RSS
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

Does anyone clip their horses in the summer? 

In the past, I new of a few showjumpers that clipped their horses all year round. What are your thought on this? 

Is it needed? And does it ruin the coat? 

Discuss 🤓 

xx

I'm just here for the free book! (...and I won one!)

Posted : 19/05/2020 6:55 pm
Vanessa
(@vanessa)
Trusted Member

We use to clip the jumpers out if they were not blood horses, just to stop them overheating and help prevent sweat lumps

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2020 1:31 pm
SassyMare liked
Dryan
(@dryan)

We used to also clip jumpers in the summer but havent dont it in years we never had any issues only a few spur rubs in the past with it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2020 2:56 pm
SassyMare liked
dtskaar
(@dtskaar)
Estimable Member

We clip my jumper but only because he is a thoroughbred that sweats more than any other horse in the barn. A 15-minute bareback ride will leave a sweaty butt mark on his back. When I got him, he was super out of shape so I figured he’d get better but man that horse can sweat still 6 years later!

Life is short, enjoy the ride! <3

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/05/2020 3:59 pm
SassyMare liked
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

Thanks everyone! 

Can anyone tell me if it ruins the coat? For example, if a horse was to be clipped through the summer this year, would their coat still grow back normally next summer? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2020 7:57 pm
dtskaar
(@dtskaar)
Estimable Member

@sassymare I have never had any issues when clipping my horse.  His coat seems to be normal when it grows back in - although it does feel funny in the process.  Then again, my chestnuts coat changes shades a lot depending on the season, so I may just not notice but as for the shine and healthiness of his coat, it seems normal.

Life is short, enjoy the ride! <3

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2020 4:54 am
SassyMare liked
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

@dtskaar 

Thank you 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2020 8:00 pm
dtskaar liked
P.B. Equestrian
(@p-b-equestrian)
Estimable Member

We clip our minis almost all year round as they're too fluffy for the NZ summer heat, and even in winter we have some warm days that they get too fluffy for. Have never found that it ruins the coat to come back, I think that's an old wives tail 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2020 10:57 pm
SassyMare liked
Share: