Notifications
Clear all

Flies!!  

RSS
JoMac
(@jomac)
Estimable Member

Why do some horses seem to be so much more attractive to flies than others? My poor boy is constantly bothered by them whilst others in the field don't seem to have flies anywhere near them! Any top tips for keeping them at bay? He's out in a fly mask in summer and I douse him in fly spray which does help a bit, any other ideas welcome!

Posted : 18/06/2020 2:03 pm
Phantom Glasses
(@phantom-glasses)
Trusted Member

I have little to no experience with warring flies, but there's this one thing I've heard - the darker the horse, the more he attracts flies. Just thought I ought to share - the victim in your case might be a dark bay while his neighbours are white/palomino.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 2:23 pm
JoMac liked
JoMac
(@jomac)
Estimable Member

@phantom-glasses nope, in this case he's a bright chestnut and his best field mate is a very dark (almost black) bay!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 2:34 pm
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

I hate flies!! I love everything about summer except the flies!! 

I have tried loads of fly sprays but none seem to last very long.

I have started to see these band thingys around that you just strap on a horse's leg, but I've not used them. Here's an example of one - https://www.horsedream.co.uk/products/fly-off-fly-repellent-horse-starter-kit  

It might be worth checking out something like this and giving it bash. Or possibly just seeing if anyone else has used something similar and what results they got. 

S x 

I'm just here for the free book! (...and I won one!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2020 6:37 pm
JoMac liked
Vanessa
(@vanessa)
Trusted Member

I have been using the fly off bands from Equine Innovations ( you can find them on FB) find they work well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2020 11:11 pm
JoMac liked
Share: