Notifications
Clear all

"Splint"  

RSS
Dryan
(@dryan)

Hi all just lookimg for a bit of advice iv an 11yr old full connie and last week over 2 days he throw up a splint on the left. He was never sick sore or sorry over the few weeks i never noticed an uneven step or anything. Im currently colding hosing twice a day and applying gel. Any ideas as to why this could have come up on an older animal? We've had them pop up and down and youngsters but never on anything over 5 in the past. TIA

Posted : 15/05/2020 12:16 pm
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

Hmmm is it possible that he may have had a small kick or been caught on the leg by another horse? (assuming the horse is turned out with others) 

Or, if it's on the inside of the, is it possible that the horse could have struck itself? Either from getting up after laying down in the stable or whilst frolicking in the field. 

Just a couple of thoughts. 

I hope it's healing well. x 

I'm just here for the free book! (...and I won one!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2020 8:02 pm
Dryan
(@dryan)

@sassymare thank you we are thinking thats what must have happened currently cold hosing twice a day its gone down a bit

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 10:09 am
SassyMare liked
P.B. Equestrian
(@p-b-equestrian)
Estimable Member

I had the same thing happen to my mare, she managed to knock her splint but leg in general was quite swollen, but took a while for the heat to come up and was never sensitive or lame. I got the vet out and had it x-rayed, and she had a neat egg on her splint. Was told to give 4 weeks off work, space restriction, cold hosing and a clay poultice wrap on in between to reduce swelling and help stability of the leg. Might be worth getting some imaging done if you can 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2020 11:02 pm
Share: