Stables with turnou...

Notifications
Clear all

Stables with turnout  

RSS
Dryan
(@dryan)

Just wondering has anyone here have stables with turnout/garden boxes in one. Atm in the winter i have the ponies stabled at night and turned out in a woodchip area during the day. Im  thinking next yr of combining both and putting the stables on the edge of the turnout and letting them access to it 24/7 during the winter but they can go in and out as they please. Trying to weigh up the pros and cons. 🤔

Posted : 21/07/2020 2:00 pm
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

I have seen this done and it looks to work pretty well! 

Unlike a stable into a grass field, the woodchip means that you don't get a muddy field and you can also control how much they're eating (if they're a bit on the plump side). Plus the horses have the freedom to come and go as they please and can escape bad weather if they want to. 

I don't see any downsides, so if you have the option of doing it, I would do it. 👍 

I'm just here for the free book! (...and I won one!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2020 6:55 pm
Dryan
(@dryan)

Thanks SassyMare for the reply currently compiling a pros and cons list very little on the negative side

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/07/2020 1:56 pm
Vanessa
(@vanessa)
Estimable Member

Wow, I like this idea, but I would swop the woodchip for sand or rubber, how did you get around planning for the turnout area and how big did you make it ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/07/2020 1:59 pm
ClaireHoward
(@clairehoward)

Redwings Horse Sanctuary has woodchip turnout paddocks (if I remember correctly) and it seemed to work ok. 

Anyway, whatever surface you decide to go with, I think it's a good idea and you will have happy free-range horses. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2020 11:28 am
Share: