Notifications
Clear all

Half Pads  

RSS
dtskaar
(@dtskaar)
Estimable Member

What are your preferred half pads? I have an ogilvy but I don’t like how thick it is. The risers with sheepskin lining around the edges are too thin. My thoroughbred has high, shark-fin withers with wide shoulders and barrel. He wears a 28/30 girth for dressage or a 56 when jumping for reference. Thoughts?

Life is short, enjoy the ride! <3

Posted : 11/05/2020 1:26 am
SassyMare
(@sassymare)
Reputable Member

Depends on what you're wanting the half-pad for. Is it to correct the fit of your saddle? 

If so, it might be worth just getting a saddle fitter to come and re-flock your saddle so it moulds better to your TB's high withers and wide shoulders. Then you wouldn't need a half pad at all and could just use a normal saddle cloth. 

xx

I'm just here for the free book! (...and I won one!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2020 7:12 pm
P.B. Equestrian
(@p-b-equestrian)
Estimable Member

Agree with above, I would have the saddle fitter come out to see your horse and discuss if a half pad is needed or not, or the saddle can be fitted to suit your horse with a half pad (like mine was as I was showing and a requirement for showing is a fleece half pad under the saddle, but not a saddle pad, so the half pad was taken into account when being fitted).

Putting a half pad under a saddle that isn't fitted for one could be more harm than good. Some people assume because a saddle isn't fitting properly a half pad will fix, not saying you are! But for example you are wearing insoles that are too tight, you don't put insoles in to make them fit better, if you get what I mean. But if there is muscle wastage, like you have shoes that are too big, insoles ie a half pad, could be very helpful. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2020 10:43 pm
dtskaar
(@dtskaar)
Estimable Member

@p-b-equestrian and @sassymare:

The saddle fits him - I have had it looked at by multiple people.  Trust me, saddle fit is one things I have gotten much better at!  My other horses is such an awkward shape, we went through 23 saddles (no joke!) in order to find a close contact and dressage saddle that fit him.  Because of him, I worked with the vet who did his saddle fitting to learn more, so I didn't have to pay mileage every time I got a new saddle to try. LOL!

This saddle is the M Toulouse with the adjustable gullet - not exchangeable - so it can be adjusted by millimeter.  The half pad is not to correct fit.  It is to add comfort and a bit more padding while I build up his topline, as he has been out of work for about 5 years when his old owner moved away.  Since he has very little muscle with his shark-fin withers and broad shoulders, it leaves space where there will be muscle once he is back in shape.  Once he fills in more, I don't think we will need a half pad.

Until then, I need to find one that is a little less puffy than the ogilvy.  Any thoughts?

Life is short, enjoy the ride! <3

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2020 12:27 am
P.B. Equestrian
(@p-b-equestrian)
Estimable Member

@dtskaar

I wasn't doubting you have the saddle fitted so please don't get me wrong, but if it does fit without the half pad I wouldn't go adding one 🙂 Or I would discuss with the saddle fitter about adding one and which one they would suggest, if they think one would be helpful. Good luck! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2020 10:48 pm
Share: